I grew not knowing about Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy but I knew Santa Claus however I learnt about all through cartoons and fairy tales. My version of tooth fairy that I knew growing up was to throw the tooth on a high place so it grows back.
I am going to go Humpty Dumpty on this and say I agree with both and I have my justification for it.
It’s a fun and harmless fiction because it helps kids deal with things that are seen as too old for them or might rub then of a fun childhood. Children should be well equipped with life but fantasies like this preserves their innocence much longer.
It is a pointless justification because it robs the actions of their essence: tooth fairy, the child focuses on money; easter bunny, chocolates; santa claus, gifts they wish for. Children need to be well equipped to deal with like and shielding them like this does no good.
Have I confused you? You’re not alone
Would I perpetuate this to my kids? No but I wouldn’t discourage it either
I love fairy tales and cartoons. Even though I know they are unreal or impossible and I point it out everytime.
Other perspectives on the Daily Prompt
- My Childhood Was Net Better (neverstationary.wordpress.com)
- Fantasmagorical (hopethehappyhugger.wordpress.com)
- A li’l Fantasy takes the truth a long way… (thepigmentsoflife.wordpress.com)
- pixie dust and elfin tales (rightdownmyalley.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: Fantasy (smileyface80.wordpress.com)